It is known to all that we can fix a slow computer by simply defragmenting the computer. But it is a so time-consuming process to get through the whole disk defragmentation. What makes us crazy is that, there will be lots of fragmentations coming not long after the previous defragmentation, significantly slowing down the computer. So it is necessary for us to run a disk defragmentation again and again. Thus, needless to mention how much time it takes and the inconvenience it brings, as time goes by, will greatly shorten the lifespan of the hard disk. drivingschoolintoronto
So is it possible for us to fix a slow computer easily by a disk defragmentation without any troubles? Of course, it is. Here, we will discuss some ways on how to avoid troubles when defragmenting the computer, that is, assign some folders to other drives expect C drive (Take D drive as an example).
1) Assign the WIN386.SWP file of Virtual Memory to D drive: go to Start-> Control Panel-> System -> Performance-> and then Virtual Memory -> select “Let me specify my own virtual memory settings”->select D drive ->Ok to finish the setting. But please note that, the drive you select must be larger than 100MB.
2) Assign the Internet temporary files to D drive. First, please create a new directory under C:\D drive such as D:\IE-TEMP, and then go to Start -> Control Panel -> double click Internet Options -> click Settings within Internet Temporary Files -> click “Remove folders” to the directory D:\IE-TEMP.
3) Assign the system temporary files to D drive. First please go to create a temp directory in the D drive, for example, D:\temp, and then right click My Computer ->Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables, drag to the end of the System Variables to find TEMP and TMP, and then change the value of them to D:\temp. By the way, it needs you to restart the computer to take effect.
4) Assign the received and draft mails of Outlook Express to D drive: first please go to create a new Outlook directory under D drive, and then run Outlook Express -> Tools -> Options -> Maintenance -> click Store Folder -> select Change -> assign the new location, for example, D:\Outlook. temp-mail
5) Move My Documents to D drive: first please go to create a new MyDoucuments in D drive like D:\My Documents, and then right click My Documents to select Properties, and then type D:\My Documents within the tab “Target Folder Location”.